My Blog List

Family

Family

The Girls

The Girls

google search

Poppy Seed Fabric

Photobucket
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!
Todays Creative Blog
Tip Junkie handmade projects
kojodesigns
Powered by Blogger.
The Shabby Nest

Search This Blog

create

It's Overflowing

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Baking Experiment

 The 100th Day of School Cookies was a great success!

I was happy and relieved because I had to change my original plan due to a baking disaster. The original plan included a basic Chocolate Chip Cookie and a Classic Sugar Cookie.


I made the dough during the day while the girls were at school. I was hoping to make my evening of baking easier. But I was wrong.

As soon as the kids were in bed I started baking. The Chocolate Chip Cookies went in the oven first and they didn’t rise. I knew it had something to do with the baking soda but didn’t have the time or ingredients to fix the Chocolate Chip Cookie disaster.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Disaster

First, I thought an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe would work. I always have quick oats and wheat germ on hand for our Sunday Morning Cowgirl Pancakes. All the recipes I found and my remaining ingredients didn't match completely. And here is where the Trail Mix Cookie was born.

Trail Mix Cookie


2 ½ cups quick-oats
½ cup wheat germ
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup olive oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup walnuts, very finely chopped
½ cup raisins (and other dried fruits, sunflower seeds, etc.)

Yes, I really did use olive oil. I did a little research before using it and it has been done before, but I was very unsure. I also added wheat germ because I didn’t have enough oats or flour. The raisins were scarce so in went the assorted dried fruits.  

I was very surprised at how well they came out. The kids and teachers loved them almost more than the sugar cookies. 

I am no baker but I love to share with others.
When life throws you a flat cookie don't give up.... create.



2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try these cookies!!! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They saved the day and the kids loved them. Just picked up strawberries at the Farmer's Market today.... muffins for Boo's class.Stay warm and bake some cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...